ASHA RAY OF HOPE PARTNERS WITH COSMO
Community Shares of Mid Ohio (COSMO) is a coalition of locally based, non-profit organizations collaboratively participating in workplace giving campaigns. If you work at any of these places, you have an opportunity to give to ASHA through payroll deductions. In 2011, Asha organized the following events:
- First Full-day Training provided by a professional DV trainer from MANAVI.
- First Panel Discussion on DV, featuring Franklin County Prosecutor Anne Murray, Franklin County Municipal Court Judge Carrie Gladden, respected Hindu scholar Manu Bhatt, community leader and FIAadvisor Nirmal Sinha, AAPI President Dr. Bipin Desai, and former FIA President Jagadish Prabhala.
- First ever Healthy Family Relationships Workshop at the Noor Islamic Cultural Center.
- First ever 5K Race to STOP Domestic Violence, raising more than $ 20,000.
- Another First: In October, as part of the DVAM celebration, organization of a Film Festival which culminated with the community coming together and signing a Pledge to STOP Domestic Violence.
We also participated in several events at the State House (Purple Lights Campaign) and the Attorney General's office. We were interviewed by Channel 3 twice, by WOSU Public Media as a part of their "Women, War and Peace" series. We were also featured in the Women's Book under "Making Great Connection -The Power of Partnership."
Asha-Ray of Hope is an active partner with the White House Council on Women and Girls and the Office of Violence against Women. We are also a part of the Barbara Warner Committee on Workplace Domestic Violence.
Asha-Ray of Hope organized a Sponsor Appreciation Dinner on Thursday, January 26, 2012. The guest speaker was Ms. Miya Saika Chen, Senior Advisor of the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. The other guest speaker of the event was Yvette McGee Brown, Ohio Supreme Court Justice. The event was sponsored by Verizon Wireless.